Spring is finally here...I hope. A few warm sunny days and I begin to believe again. After the initial elation comes that familiar feeling...there is so much to do! I can feel overwhelmed just thinking about it now. Especially if you own a home it can seem daunting to think of the spring chores. Here's a few ideas to get started and avoid the usual struggle to get it all done.
- First and foremost remember it will all get done! The ADHD tendency is to see it all at once which leads to feeling overwhelmed. Remember Spring comes every year and every year things get done.
- Make a list. You can make a master list and then pull off a few things when you are planning your day. I put mine on a white board. I love the feeling of erasing a chore once it's completed!
- One thing at a time! Picking which chore to start with may be based on weather, time, a step based chore that needs to be done in order. If there is no external parameter then decide based on what you like to do so it will be easier to get started or what you like least to get it out of the way.
- Finish what you started! As you go through the day you will see a myriad of other things calling your attention. Be Mindful and do not follow your attention. Consciously pull it back to what you are doing. Practice practice practice this and you will get better at it!
- Finally, when you have completed a task celebrate your accomplishment! Admire your handiwork and feel good about what you did. Now is not the time to think about what else still needs to be done